Sunday, August 21, 2011

Washington DC - First full day

Washington DC was not starting out on the right foot. Not only did I sprain my ankle, but when I awoke first thing this morning at 12:20ish a.m. I was violently throwing up. Apparently I had food poisoning. So for the next hour or so I was dealing with that. Yuck.

In the morning Mike and I slowly made our way to the White House at 7:30 a.m. We finally got there around 8:15 (everything takes so much longer with me on this ankle, it doesn't help our hotel is pretty far from things too).

The White House tour was really neat. We got to see the room where the President holds all his conferences and even got to walk down the hall where he walks out to make his speeches. We also saw some famous sitting rooms and the dining room. We also so saw some of the presidential china and the famous painted portraits of each president, even the famous one of George Washington.

After the White House, we slowly made our way back to our hotel (with a quick stop for some breakfast and to CVS to get an ACE bandage). I wanted to rest for an hour or so because I had lost a few hours of sleep the night before.

It was probably 1:30 p.m. before we were on our way again. We overslept, but I suppose we needed it! Anyway this time we set out to visit the National Mall, and boy was it hot getting there. The heat and my ankle makes walking places really really slow.

Anyway we finally got to the National Mall and went straight to the Smithsonian Museum of American History. This museum has three floors and we spent a few hours there. Incredible stuff. We saw the benches the four African Americans refused to get up from in Greensboro, North Carolina, we saw a ship from the Revolutionary War was which was preserved underwater for close to 200 years, the ruby red slippers from the Wizard of Oz, Michael Jackson's hat, gowns from a slew of the first ladies, Abraham Lincoln's hat, George Washington's official military outfit, a ton of war stuff, Julia Child's kitchen and so much more!

After the museum we slowly made our way to the Capitol City Brewing Co., which Chris has recommended we go to. This place had a very BJ's vibe to it but I was just so happy to sit down at this point. Also we slept through lunch so this was our first true meal of the day. Mike had a wonderful rib dinner and tried a few of their different brews and I had a few sides (was still be being cautious about what to eat).

After a few hours at the brewery we walked back down to 7th (the area where we ate before) in search of a Washington Capitols shot glass. We finally arrived at the Verizon Center, where they play, and found the gift shop for their merchandise. There was an event going on there that night, a WNBA game. Anyway after the shot glass we headed back to the hotel.

When we got back to the hotel I iced my ankle (which was super sore from all the walking) and took some Advil. Mike and I spent the remainder of the evening in, watching silly movies and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment